Monday, June 30, 2014

The Strongback Part 1

The ability to build a canoe with a true and perfect hull starts with a solid square and level working foundation called the strongback and the canoe forms.  This weekend I procured the material to make the strong back and the forms.  I definitely forgot how heavy 3/4 inch plywood and OSB can be and it resulted in an entertaining scene for anyone who witnessed me unloading the truck.

I spent the better part of Saturday cleaning the garage in hopes of making plenty of room for the strongback and the entire building process.  Sunday was mostly spent setting up planer, jointer, and oscillating belt sander in preparation for fabricating the cedar strips.  Once all the tools were all set up I cut all the pieces to build a 16 foot strongback.

The next step is to finalize the list of material to make the trim, cedar strips, seats, decks, paddles and the multitude of jigs for this project.  Yup, that's right.  I am going to build every thing myself including the hand woven cane seats.  There is only one way to describe this project and that is "Go big or Go home!".

My beautiful wife Kandace has gratefully agreed to give up the garage and allow me to take on this project.  She is awesome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment