Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Making the final list of material

Tonight I finished going through the list of materials that I will need to build my canoe and to my surprise the estimated cost is pretty darn close to my wild guess made a month or so ago.  Unfortunately that does not make the cost any less.  The largest portion of the cost will be in the epoxy system used for laminating the hull with fiberglass.  There are cheaper options but the West System epoxy that is recommended by the book Canoecraft and a few other sources really is a good system.  I have used it before when working on the sportfishing docks in San Diego.  The next step is to purchase the western red cedar and start fabricating the strips.

I know that my last post showed the cut pieces for the strongback but I have decided to delay assembly of the strongback until I have the strips, stems, seats, and thwarts completed.  I have not decided when to work on the paddles but I will probably work them into the gaps between rows of the strips.  Saturday I will probably pick up the cedar for the strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment