Sunday, July 6, 2014

Cedar Strip Manufacturing Step 2 & 3







Today was another long day getting ready to build my canoe.  I managed to figure out which boards were basswood based on my invoice from the lumber yard.  The bummer was realizing that the alder did not make it into my truck.  I will have to call the lumber yard tomorrow and find out what happened.

On a positive note I finished running all the cedar and basswood through the planer and jointer.  This allowed me to set up the table saw for cutting the 1/4 thick strips for the canoe build.  I was able to rip down 1 board of basswood and 3 boards of cedar.  I have now produced a total of 3 40 gallon trash cans full of saw dust and wood chips.

The first couple of boards were slow work as I became acclimated the setup.  After the first couple strips I decided to add a homemade guide/blade guard to prevent the strips from kicking back and give me a better visual reference to the blade.  The jig worked great and made the rest of the strips cut today much better.

Kandace was kind enough to take a couple of pictures of me at work on the table saw as proof that I am the one doing all the work.

I still have several boards to rip down to size for strips.  Once all the strips are cut I will start the QA to make sure they are all consistently 1/4 inch thick.  As I QA the strips I will color match them and start making strips long enough for the canoe using 8:1 scarf joints.  Yeah!!!  I get to make more jigs and handmade tools.  The jigs to be built are a miter box for making the scarf joints and a few really simple clamping jigs for gluing the scarf joints together.

Keep posted for more progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment