Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I finally chose the canoe design!!


The pictures above are from www.noahsmarine.com and show the 17' 7-1/2" Redbird canoe designed by Ted Moores at Bear Mountain boats.  The Redbird is considered to be a seaworthy all purpose canoe that has features similar to a Long Nose Ojibwa Rice Harvesting canoe.  The positive side to this design is that it is supposed to be well suited for paddling novices and experienced paddlers.

Needless to say I have finally picked the design for my first canoe build.  I look forward to making the forms and setting up for the build in the next 3-4 weeks.  I have not made any progress this past week because we were out of town on a short summer vacation.  This weekend I am hoping to finish cutting my cedar boards into strips and get them color matched.  The process is very time consuming but very enjoyable.  If everything goes according to my planned build schedule I will be making the stems and start putting strips on the form by the end of September.

As much as I want to spend all of my free time working on the project it is still necessary for me take care of my honey-dos and spend some quality time with my wife and kids.  We also have a new puppy dog named Laiya that has a habit of distracting me with her cute antics.



No comments:

Post a Comment