Sunday, July 27, 2014

Finally done cutting the strips!!!

This week I was able to make good progress on the preparation steps for the canoe.  Yesterday and today I managed to finished cutting the cedar and basswood into strips.  In all honesty cutting boards into 1/4" strips does not sound very difficult but I did encounter a few hurdles this week.  Yesterday I only cut two boards because the boards were not moving very easily over the table saw.  This afternoon I took the time to wax the table and that made a world of difference.  I was able to finish the last 6 boards in the same amount of time it took me to cut 2 boards yesterday.  This coming weekend I am hoping to cut the pieces for the stems and the frames for the seats.

I also received the caning materials and tools for when I am ready to make the seats.  I am really looking forward to taking on that part of the project.  If I do a good enough job at caning the seats I may get suckered into re-caning a couple of my Dad's kitchen chairs that have some broken cane seats.

I was really excited to finally install the router table attachment on my tablesaw.  After reading several reviews and tips from others who have purchase the Benchdog ProMax router table extension I was expecting the installation to take an extensive amount of time.  I figured out a couple of tricks that were missed by others that installed the same extension on the Ridgid TS3650 tablesaw.  It only took about an hour to install the extension.  The hard part was tweeking the set screws to level the router plate insert.  I had considered purchasing a lift mechanism for the router but was happy to realize that the router I had for the extension table already had a height adjustment on the base.  All I had to do was drill a new hole in the router plate to access the adjustment screw from the top of the table.  It worked like a charm and I am now set up to start putting the bead and cove on the strips.

Thank you to everyone who is following my blog.  I invite all of you to leave comments or questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment